The sunshine and warm weather are coming, which means it is time to move your workout from your gym to the outdoors!
Michigan weather keeps us trapped indoors for many months, so try these five tips from Dr. Ron Lederman to help make your transition from inside to outdoors a safe and rewarding one.
- Start by viewing the world as a big outdoor gym. Enjoy the fresh air, a change of scenery and be creative! Plan a new walking route, find a peaceful hiking trail or join an outdoor pool.
- Learn your route beforehand. Whether you decide to power walk down the city streets or mountain bike along a remote wooded trail, the distractions of your surroundings take your mind off the work of working out.
- Transition from treadmill to terrain. Now that you have your route or activities in mind, understand that walking or running on uneven surfaces engages more muscles, particularly the ones in your feet, ankles and shins.
- Suit up right. Regardless of the temperature, wearing properly fitted, supportive clothing and sneakers is crucial for any outdoor workout.
- Find your group to keep you motivated. If you need some added motivation to help you get out the door, check out your local community centers and your department of parks and recreation for free or low-cost memberships to pools, tennis courts and more.